Recently I’ve finished reading the first book from the ‘Shatter Me’ series by Tahereh Mafi. It’s been popular for quite some time, and I’ve been dying to read this book!
Now, that I’ve already read it, I have a few thoughts to share.
By the way, I gave it ⭐⭐⭐/5 on goodreads.com.
1. First of all, I didn’t find this story very original and unique. It’s quite light dystopian, if I could say that. There’s nothing you couldn’t think of yourself. The climate have changed in a very bad way, diseases are destroying population, animals are dying, people are starving… New government is very brutal towards its citizens, everybody lives in fear!
2. And there is a girl named Juliette. She has this magical strange power of killing people by only touching them, it leads to their painful death.. So nobody actually wants or CAN touch her, (except for one boy, who is resistant, who knows why). She lives isolated in a kind of a prison.
3. Of course, there is a bad guy ruling the government, who wants to use Juliette as a weapon for killing or torturing people. He’s very beautiful and handsome and bla ba bla, but very cruel and has his own dark vision of the future. Oh, but he’s kind of obsessed about Juliette, you could even say he’s in love with her.
4. The good guy of the story is also very handsome… and perfect, and… very horny teenager 😂. And he’s in love with Juliette. And Juliette is in love with him. For me it’s even too sweet and unrealistic. Juliette always had a dream about the exact same looking bird, as her new boyfriend is having tattooed on his chest. What?!
And she seems in love with him for good, but hey… He’s the only boy (for some time in a book) who can touch her without being injured. And the only person in her life who was never afraid of her. NO ONE else have interacted with her before! Like… She almost had no choice, but to fall in love with him!
5. Surprise surprise, there are the REBELS, the good guys. The organisation which wants to bring down the government. And they want the world peace. And they want to have Juliette on their side, too. And they have some more people with strange abilities like her. Doesn’t it sound familiar to other dystopian stories?
Actually, all those people in the book, which have their mystical abilities of fatal touches, healing, becoming invisible etc. reminded me of the X-Men. 😁
AFTER ALL, I’ve really enjoyed this book! This was a quick and fun, and sexy read. 😸 And if you like this sort of a classical YA dystopian, I recommend you to grab it.
I have my own guesses of what will happen on the next book, which I’ve already started reading, by the way. I hope it’ll bring more intrigues. There were many times when I wasn’t expecting to even like sequels, because I was judging the first book, but I ended up LOVING THE WHOLE SERIES.